Tuesday 5 May 2020

Being creative: missing the magic

When I was younger, I used to carry a notebook with me wherever I went. Shopping centres, supermarkets, the dentist or my weekly ballet class; no matter what the occasion, odds are I would have been clutching a notebook close to my chest. And probably a couple of scented gel pens - remember those?!


I would treat this book like a prized possession - and by 'book', I mean 'books', plural. I had stacks and stacks of them. Filled with absolutely everything and anything. Ideas, drawings, poems, lists, and perhaps most importantly of all, stories. To me, back then, stories were everything. I'd spend car rides watching the hills, streetlamps and bus stops streak past, telling my parents how fairies might be flitting between them. I'd dream of ways to describe the colour of the evening light streaming into my bedroom, and the patterns it made on my ceiling. For every fleeting moment of magic, I had to get it down on paper, because at the time, that's what those words truly felt like: magic. 


I know what you're thinking - why on earth has she gone off on this somewhat nostalgic/self indulgent tangent?

Because I miss it. I miss the feeling of being creative, just for me. Not to post on my timeline or share on my stories, but just because I want to. Writing was always incredibly personal for me, something I did for myself without the pressure of wondering what anyone else would think. When my last job relied on my ability to string sentences together, some of that magic got lost.




Over the weekend, I took these photos after watching a Tiktok tutorial on photography 'hacks' - I feel like the oldest person in the world typing that sentence, believe me.  I've been binging Hollywood on Netflix, and I'd just gotten a little carried away in the wonder and cinematic glamour of the show. Whilst the #BTS did not reflect this - phone torch and toilet roll holder anyone - I really had the best time creating something simply for the joy of creation. It just happened to be a bit of a fluke that I didn't hate the way they turned out.

If you take away anything from this, remember that productivity has multiple definitions, depending on what you're hoping to "produce". Whether that's a 10,000 page novel or photos that you took in your bathroom, taking that time to do something for yourself can often be much more rewarding in the long run.

Do you ever create things just for yourself?

Stay safe,

xxx

SHARE:

15 comments

  1. Lovely post - much enjoyed reading this. And, you look beautiful <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. These shots turned out beautifully- you did such a good job! Good to work that creative muscle now and again. :)

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore these shots! And I was exactly the same when I was younger haha, I recently started carrying a notebook around with me again and it's fab to jot down ideas on the go :)
    Amy xx
    callmeamy.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay we posted blog posts on the same day! It's so nice to see another post from you :) I used to carry a notebook around a lot too!! AND YES! I was just talking about this the other day, I miss being creative just for me, it is different creating things for ourselves and not to be shared with others or the world. Also I love these polariods :) Hope you are keeping safe x

    findyourownhope.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such gorgeous shots - I can't believe you created these with a toilet roll holder! I do enjoy creating things and the kids and I do a lot of crafts and projects "just because". It's fun - and a little sad that we (adults) don't do this as much (without kids). Hope you're well, Georgia!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel the same! I used to write stories on my notebook when I was in high school. I miss doing that. :( It was a dream of mine to publish a book one day.

    Bee of https://beecaluya.com/ x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was the same! I used to carry a notebook everywhere. I don't anymore because I don't find time to write when I am out and about. Love your shots!

    Nancy ♥ exquisitely.me

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are such fun photos and it's great it was such a simple way to achieve them! I think it's important to try different things and to be creative! :)

    Hope that you have had a good weekend! We had a picnic on Saturday taking advantage of the relaxed restrictions, and then had a lovely Mother's Day :)

    Away From Blue

    ReplyDelete
  9. totally love these photo set! you look gorgeous

    Hope you stay healthy and safe
    xoxo
    style frontier

    ReplyDelete
  10. Scented gel pens? Of COURSE I remember those - oh my gosh, can't believe I'd forgotten about them for so long! These are such stunning photos of you; peak creativity, for sure! I truly don't think you'll ever be in danger of losing touch with your creativity Georgia :)

    aglassofice.com x

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so pretty! I also carry a book (a notebook basically) with me since then up until today. :)

    Stay Safe!
    xoxo,
    SHAIRA
    www.missdream-girl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. There certainly is magic whenever we create things for ourselves! I still keep lots of notebooks around with me, but my main notebook nowadays would be my journal and work notebook. Awesome photos! Thank you for sharing with us <3 <3

    Anna Jo | http://helloannajo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. These photos are amazing! I am going to have to try this hack out. I write a lot for myself, as well as my blog... but I really want to get into drawing again. I just feel the need for it to be perfect, whereas I would like to be happy with just doing it for the sake of making something!

    Becqui
    www.becquijean.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. How I love the magic of your gorgeous words beautiful Georgia! The nostalgic feel running through this post feels oh so relevant to my exact thoughts on all things social media today yet transported me straight back to childhood with the mention of those gel pens - how fabulous were they?! So smoking hot these gorgeous Hollywood gems are - looking like the ultimate starlet, spellbinding and sparking; glowing fiercer than the brightest stars in the night sky :) I love your reflections on writing as a child, although I didn't write as much, I was forever lost in daydreams of stories and can remember not taking much notice of the BBC museum as I had a school notebook with me and was writing a story ;) It's so heart-warming to read about your magical love for words, can totally relate! And very much so of the feeling of being creative for you too, I'm trying to remind myself creativity counts most when it's for myself, not for others. Keep shining bright, stunning enchantress! ♥︎

    Sophie | soinspo xo

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments and will read and reply to every one <3

© Teandtwosugars
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig