Saturday 30 October 2021

FYI, You're so much more than what you look like

 


My own self image has always been a bit of a strange topic for me. How I see myself has been a bit of a rollercoaster throughout the years, and whilst the steep drops and loop-the-loops are now few and far between, that doesn’t mean I’m not faced with a sharp turn every now and then. Especially when faced with my own reflection more than I’d like.



I’m not talking about the hall of mirrors (don’t worry, that theme park metaphor died in the last paragraph), but rather, being at home more than we usually would be. Eighteen months or so in fact, give or take. The quick glance at yourself in the hallway mirror on the way out has grown into the peering at your thumbnail in the corner of every Google hangout to make sure you still look engaged after two hours. The insta pressure to make sure your pals know you’re having a good time 24/7. The scrolling, scrolling and more scrolling before checking your front camera and feeling sad that you don’t have a chance in hell of ever looking like that girl you don’t even know. Told you it was a rollercoaster.



I’ve been told to stop worrying about what I look like, to stop thinking about what others think, and to stop letting my insecurities about my appearance get in the way. Because oh boy, do those insecurities get in the way. And the funny thing is, you and I know they’re not even real. Not really. The only thing giving them life and allowing them to breathe are the big corporations which continue to capitalise off of them. Lips too thin? Plump them. Eye bags too big? Conceal them. Skin not smooth, radiant or youthful enough? You’re going to need at least five different creams. That’ll be £782 please. Imagine if we just stopped buying things the patriarchy told us to buy because we simply don’t need them? Anarchy. 



And yet, even though I know all of this, I still feel that incredible pressure to conform. To fit in. To look a certain way. And sure, a lot of that I do for myself - make up, clothes, hair, skin care etc. - but there is a part of me which does wonder, is it really for me? Or is it just my own internalised male gaze?  I could literally write a whole book on this; the theory that even when we’re alone,  everything we do is subconsciously just to serve the male point of view. A harrowing and depressing thought, but an intriguing one none the less. (For the record, when I’m dressing up at 2pm on a Sunday afternoon to make a Halloween outfit reel, I’m pretty sure that is for me and me alone. No man, or woman tbh, wants to see me in yet another £5 eBay wig.) 


So where do we go from here? Whilst I don’t think there’s really a clear cut and dry answer, I do think awareness is a good starting point. Simply being more conscious of the reasons why you’re doing things and being safely assured in the knowledge that the sole purpose of you and your body extends far beyond what you look like. You’re so, so much more than that. 




It’s been a while since I wrote a proper blog post so please excuse the above tangential ramble (let’s be honest, what’s new?) I’m interested in talking more personally about a couple of things around this topic, body image etc, but always end up chickening out. Do people want to read that kind of thing? If anything, I guess it would be a cheap alternative to therapy for me. 


Anyway, I hope you’re all doing well, keeping safe and staying sane. Sending love xxx



SHARE:

10 comments

  1. I really needed this post today! I literally just tried on a pair of leather pants for tomorrow and hated the way they looked. I was being critical (like always!). It can be such a bad habit!!

    Shauna

    www.lipglossandlace.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it is harder then ever today to feel good about oneself and life. Back in the day movies, media and magazines got all the blame for FOMO and the pressure put on women to be physically perfect. But now it is worse b/c we see all this real people with great looks, and a great life filled with gorgeous places to live, tons of designer clothes, partners and children etc. The curse of social media.

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore these photos, you're gorgeous! As for beauty standards nowadays, I completely agree. There is so much pressure on people, especially women, to look flawless and to follow cruel beauty standards and the versatility of the beauty in people is harshly ignored. Beauty comes in so many different shapes that we shouldn't force anyone to fit in a mould.


    http://www.couture-case.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful writing and images, Georgia! I think I understand what you're saying - I enjoy Instagram and posting on my blog (and it's all about beauty) but it's also because I don't feel much pressured about them and most importantly, I enjoy the interactions that I have through these means. It can go wrong in so many ways if I don't have that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just what I need to read today. Thank you for speaking on behalf of me. And btw, you're so beautiful and love your writing!! xx

    lenne | lennezulkiflly.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is good advice! I don't really relate to the lockdown experience you had as our lockdown was so short but I do agree we can get hung up on things that don't really matter sometimes - we should do things that make us and our bodies healthy and happy and who cares what anyone else thinks!

    Hope that your week is going well :)

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello dear,
    first of all, you look beautiful on these photos.
    I feel like nowadays there is so much social pressure it makes everyone doubt at some point. That's why its so important to love yourself and accept yourself and work hard for yourself, for your happiness and wellbeing :)

    kisses!
    My blog - Lalabetterdayz

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel every word of what you just said here. And I love content around topics like this if you're still on the fence about doing more, I'd definitely read it. I found the comment about the male gaze interesting though. Because I genuinely think a lot of women do that stuff for other women. Sure, men focus on certain things. But I see women criticising other women for things like hair, nails, clothes etc far more than other men do. I tend to find we're generally speaking far far harder on ourselves as a group than we ever would be to a friend. But you're right, in the end none of that really matters.

    Sophie
    www.glowsteady.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a thought-provoking post- and so well written! I'm with you- I think we're in a space where we're waking up to our own internalized male gaze (the bit about how we serve it even when we're alone! We police ourselves on their behalf!) is where we start, even if we don't have the answers on how to reorient ourselves to a more healthy self-view. It's a beautiful and worthy conversation!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments and will read and reply to every one <3

© Teandtwosugars
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig