Sunday 22 March 2020

Self isolating without feeling isolated


Well. This is, weird?

 I currently feel like I'm living in a parallel universe, a video game, or an episode of Black Mirror - one which I haven't watched until the end just yet.  It's a stranger than strange time which few of us have experienced anything remotely similar to before, and that makes it that so much more confusing to deal with.

I have to admit that self-isolation isn't something that's totally out of comfort zone. From the outside looking in, I would say I'm a fairly introverted person who is more than happy to binge Netflix and a bottle of wine. When plans are cancelled, I silently rejoice.  However, what I had never really realised before - until about a week ago - is just how much I rely on those small moments of human interaction to get me through the day.



A little bit of back story. So for the last year or so, I have been working in London whilst living solo. In a nutshell, it's been great - I get to enjoy the buzz of working centrally in a big city whilst having the luxury of peace and quiet at the end of each day. I can't put into words how grateful I am to be able to live by myself - as you're probably aware, real estate is somewhat at a premium in the capital. Or anywhere for that matter. Anyway, given the current circumstances, three weeks ago our office was instructed to work from home. Which, at first, I thought 'OK cool'. I can avoid a crowded commute, I don't have to pay over £5 for a mediocre sandwich, I can have an extra hour asleep.

One week goes by and suddenly, I realise, all may not be as rosy as I first thought.  My daily routine was slipping. The peace and quiet had become overwhelming. I felt my work self and actual self had begun to merge (I was dreaming about emails.) I tried to push on but every day looking in the mirror was like staring at a slightly more unravelled version of myself. One that the morning trips to Sainsbury's (god bless those veteran sales assistants), could not seek to cure. Rumours of a London lockdown prompted my colleagues - who are all living with flatmates or family - to encourage me to head back up North. 

So after a bit of deliberation and a bout of confused packing, I made my way to an eerily quiet Euston station and hopped on the 11.07 train back up north. And all in all, so far so good.  Whilst my family maybe wouldn't be my first choice of flatmates, they're still pretty high up on the list. Plus, the dogs. I mean need I say more?



For me, the most difficult thing with this situation is the 'not knowing.' The uncertainty and the unpredictability. The need to know everything and the desperation to know nothing. Feeling a total lack of control over the structure of my day-to-day life, and having a lot of time to be inside my own head without distraction - two things I have actually really struggled with. Of course, I recognise I am in a HUGE position of privilege - being able to work from home without the threat of my job being lost. Having a roof over my head and a landlord who wouldn't threaten to evict me if I needed to defer paying rent. But that loss of control is something that so many of us seem to be experiencing, and if nothing else, is the root of that washing machine type feeling in the pit of my stomach. 



So what can we do to overcome it? Whilst there is of course no 'one quick fix' to coping with something like this, there are steps we can take to adapt to this temporary way of life. The first being exactly that; remembering that this is temporary. We will come out the other side and it will be great.

Take time to take care of yourself, and see it as an opportunity to focus on you, without feeling that creeping guilt of not being productive. It's completely fine to just read a book you want to read, bake a cake for one, or just sit and do absolutely nothing.  So many of us are in the same boat.

Finally, I would say that if you can, keep in contact with those around you, and not just via text. It's crazy how much of a difference hearing someone's voice can actually make, and whilst I would usually 100% be a text > call girl any day of the week, now is the time to mix things up. 



Talking about mixing things up, it looks like I've gone a bit wild and written a fairly lengthy blog post. Are people still reading blogs? Anyway, if not, I've certainly found it therapeutic.

Given that I do have slightly more time on my hands than usual, I was thinking about going back to my roots and sharing my outfit posts on here. If you are interested, my latest looks are over on my Lookbook page.  I guess it's the perfect time to experiment with my wardrobe and dig out some long forgotten bits -  it's weird how much you miss dressing up and getting ready to go out when you no longer have the option to do so.

However, as you will have heard a million times already, staying home is the best thing to do for now, just as much as not hoarding all of the cereal/soup/toilet paper. Wash your hands, look after each other and stay safe.


You can find the latest guidance about protecting yourself by visiting the World Health Organisation website.
You can read an informative and interactive article about the importance of self-isolation on the Washington Post


Photos are by the fab @kymagination_





x
SHARE:

10 comments

  1. Girl, I feel exactly the same. I'm an introvert too, so to be honest..staying in and staying home is quite normal for me. It's the not knowing when this is going to end giving me such anxiety. Stay safe, stay sane and try to find something to smile about today!! XOXO

    Shauna

    www.lipglossandlace.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I'm an introvert, and I quite like the staying home but I do worry about everything way too much, and it's scary how long we could be like this xo

    Makeup Muddle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post. You write beautifully and thank you for sharing your honest feelings. London is a great city and it will be back when this is over. Having family is great too especially if this drags on for longer. Hang in there and set a routine. It also helps to get dressed in the morning to get you started.

    xoxo,
    Christine
    http://dailykongfidence.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same thoughts! I've never imagined this time will come wherein our worlds would be completely isolated from each other. I just really hope that this pandemic will end soon and things will get back to normal.

    Take care! :)

    xoxo,
    SHAIRA
    Blog: www.missdream-girl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems scary just now. Great photos :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes it is the unknown that is really scary and the idea of the economy being shut down for an extended period of time which is not sustainable. And yes you should post here more with your looks. I will let you in on a little secret...I HATE IG. I hate FB and it's owner. I think IG is a bit over rated too.

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great and I love the photos. I'm an ambivert with extrovert leanings so even though I like the quiet I can't ignore the fact that I like having a choice of when I am interacting with others. I hope you stay safe and healthy during this time!

    - Avalon from www.simplyavalon.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is definitely an uncertain time- I totally understand why you would want to pack up and head to be with your family. Normally have your own space is so nice, but with how isolated we all are, it is best to be with at least a few people.

    Stay safe + well, babe!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh! I forgot you were living in London now too! I can totally understand why you choose to back up North to your family - I miss mine SO much, especially knowing it could be quite some time before I see them again. Hope you're having a happy and healthy week so far :)

    Gabrielle | A Glass Of Ice x

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments and will read and reply to every one <3

© Teandtwosugars
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig